Historischer Rundweg - Board 13
The pub, with its adjoining events room, developed into a favourite local for the associations and clubs in Weeze.
The detached, two-storey house with a hip roof was decorated with a historical plaster façade and windows during a probable conversion in about 1900. The building was erected in about 1860 and belongs to the oldest preserved houses in Weeze.
Around 1900 there were a total of 26 pubs and publicans in the Mayoral Town of Weeze, which included Weeze, Wissen and Kalbeck, only one of the pubs was on land belonging to Wissen. In 1869 the married couple Wilhelm and Johanna Stevens opened a pub in a house on Bahnstrasse with the name "Zum roten Hahn" (To the Red Cock). The pub was run for four generations thereafter. It was the daughters who kept the family tradition going: In 1903 Caspar Macherey and Maria, née Stevens, took over the pub, which was then run by daughter Maria and her husband Wilhelm Koppers from 1940 until 1963. From 1963 to 1971 Helga and Arthur Eickelbeck were the tenants. After that Wilma Hünnekens, née Koppers, and her husband Franz ran the locality. They gave the pub the familiar name "Alt-Weeze".
The pub, along with its adjoining events room, grew into an attractive local for the Weeze clubs and associations. The Weeze music club, percussion club, speedway-club as well as the rabbit breeding club and beekeepers all regularly held their club meetings here. After an extensive renovation in 1955 the room was given a new look with a stage and a total space of 350 square metres. It had a capacity for dance events of 450 and with seating rows for 650 people.
The Christmas events of the officers and airmen of the former Royal Air Force Station Laarbruch (until 1999) and discos were always regularly held in the festively decorated events room. During the time of the Royal Air Force Station at Laarbruch the Alt-Weeze had an international flair, as German and British guests met socially to enjoy a glass of beer or even a "Kasawubu". The latter drink was a special creation of the publican couple Hünnekens and consisted of schnaps (distilled alcohol), raspberry syrup and coffee powder and was, because it was so unique, always ordered by the many guests who frequented the pub.
The big annual carnival events of the Weeze Men's Choir and the King's gala event of the Sankt John's Shooting Brotherhood (Sankt Johannes-Schützen) have a long tradition in the Alt-Weeze pub. The events room is not just full when the theatre shows of the Weeze theatre club "Thalia" are performed, but also when the "slang-German-language" evenings of the Home Town Heritage Association of Weeze are held here.
No longer family-owned
After 1933 the pub was sold to a wholesale drinks company in Moers and is nowadays rented out to tenants.
The founders of the pub "To the Red Cock": (seated) Johanna and Wilhelm Stevens, to the left daughter Maria, on right her brother, around 1890.
Restaurant Caspar Macherey, postcard-view around 1910. The landlord was the chairman of the Weeze publicans' association. His locality also had a traditional "Bögelbahn" (a form of skittles).
Publican Caspar Macherey in a typical pose for him. Even up until today many an anecdote is told by the older generation of Weeze about Caspar and his wife Maria (née Stevens). As it goes Caspar responded to a guest's complaint of the 'Schnaps' not being cold enough with the comment "It's definitely cold. You just hold it in your mouth too long!"