Historischer Rundweg - Board 3
The origins of this building date back to 1863 and a Foundation of Max Count von Loë and his wife Therese.
The former Theresien-Hospital and later senior citizens residence is a two-storey eaves-bricked building with a gabled roof in an elaborate new-gothic form, of which only the façade has survived. In the five axes-wide front there are cross-framed windows made of sandstone. In the middle axis you can see a stepped-gable with a Mother of God statue in the alcove. The façade has a tin cornice and corner tower.
The roots of the former Sankt-Theresien-Hospital/senior citizens residence, of which only the façade remains, dates back to 1863 as a Foundation of Max Count von Loë and his wife Therese. From the very beginning, the Monastery Sisters of the 'Poor Maids of Jesus Christ', whose headquarters were in Dembach/Westerwald, took over the administration and nursing duties.
After the first expansion in 1901/1902, the 'nunnery' as it was called by the locals, was not only able to house 25 patients, but also able to offer its own disinfectory and healing treatments, such as 'high-sun and medicinal baths'. Under the auspices of the nuns a sewing and nursery school (kindergarten on Kardinal-Galen-Strasse) were also available.
In the 1930's the capacity was again limited, so that Felix Baron von Loë decided on a further modernisation and expansion of the rear tract in 1936. From now on the hospital has a treatment and operations room, for the latter specialist doctors are brought in. During peak times the hospital cares for up to 61 patients.
Old people’s home and care residence
After the departure of the monastery sisters and due to financial reasons, the Curatorium of the Foundation decided in 1965 to turn the hospital into an old people's and care home. In 1962 the kindergarten was completely taken over by the catholic parish of Sankt Cyriakus. The administration of the Sankt-Theresien-Foundation was transferred to the Association for House and Illness-Care in Cleves, to the Sisters of Sankt Francis.
In 1971 the extensively modernised and refurbished old people’s home, now with 68 beds, was officially inaugurated.
Worries about finding young talent and increased training demands made it necessary to now integrate worldly care-givers into operations. As a result, in 1994 the running of the old people’s home was transferred over to the Caritas Corporation in Geldern.
After the Sankt-Theresien-Foundation moved into a new and modern social centre on Lorschstrasse in 2003, complete with old people’s home, old people’s flats and a kindergarten, the building remained empty for a few years before it was taken over by a Dutch hotelier in 2010. Since 2011 it serves as a hotel.
Portraits of the Foundation couple Max Count von Loë (1817-1879), founder of the Sankt-Theresien-Hospital
Golden jubilee for Sister Hefrida (Mother Superior) with her sisters at the entrance of the Sankt-Theresien-Hospital, 1965