Historischer Rundweg - Board 9
Cyriakus Square und Memorial
Between 2009 and 2012 the Square was redesigned and the monument of Sankt Cyriakus returned to its original location.
“Beekacker“ and sports ground
The grounds of today’s Cyriakus Square, to the south of the town centre, were called „Beekacker“. In 1911 the land was purchased by the then single Municipality of Weeze and served as a sports ground until 1926. After that the area was redesigned as the „new market square“ (in contrast to ‘Alter Markt’/old market) with a nice green landscape and lime trees and was given the name Cyriakusplatz (Cyriakus Square) in 1929.
During the First World War 174 soldiers from Weeze lost their lives. A memorial to these soldiers was inaugurated in their memory on September 15th, 1929 on Cyriakus Square and the ceremony was attended by all of Weeze’s clubs and associations and citizens. The names of the dead were on two walls. In their midst stood a 7.5 metres high pillar with a cement bas-relief (3.5 metres tall) of Sankt Cyriakus. He is depicted as a legionnaire wearing armour, at his side the defeated devil in chains and the martyr’s palm in his hand. During the redesigning of the Cyriakus Square at the end of the 1960’s the memorial was removed. The bas-relief of Sankt Cyriakus, also known as „our spiced biscuit man“ in Weeze, was in 1971 attached to a pillar of black stone blocks and erected in the park „Alter Friedhof“ (old cemetery) on Bahnstraße.
Between 2009 and 2012 the Cyriakus Square was redesigned and the Town Hall refurbished. The monument of Sankt Cyriakus was returned to its original location and placed modestly in the façade of the two-storey annex to the Town Hall. The insertion of the creation certificate with related newspaper clippings into a niche in the façade was completed on February 28th, 2012.
Redesign in 2009
The character of the Square was shaped by its extensiveness and the Town Hall built at its top end. Apart from that the square was only used as an event location for the annual Kirmes (fair) and the weekly market. The design of the Cyriakus Square and condition of its surface and green areas were alarming. This prompted the Municipality to replan it and to completely rebuild it in 2009.
Through the drawing up and consequent realisation of a retail concept for the Municipality of Weeze the town succeeded in locating a specialty retail market with different shops here. The newly built Volksbank an der Niers building opposite the refurbished facade of the Town Hall give the Square with its completely modern design an open and inviting character which attracts people to linger here. The Alter Markt (Old Market) and the Cyriakus Square build a sort of centre in the town centre.
Cyriakus memorial, in the foreground lies the Cyriakus fountain, a 9 metre-long water basin, postcard-view before 1939.
Cyriakus Square and monument, behind it is the temporary church (1947–1970), a former glider hangar, postcard-view from the 1950‘s.